Old Wolf Workshop Studio
MT Hook Ranch Woodworking
It's not as hard as you think, learning how to maintain, retension, and sharpen your own saw. . . .
Bad Axe Saw Tune-up & Sharpening Seminars
We spend about 1/4 of the time on instruction and theory, and 3/4 of the time with concrete, practical application. No death by Powerpoint. No pontificating on saw geek arcana to muddy the waters, and no gadgets or jigs. Instead, we cover the basics, and with file in hand, slap spring steel into one of our Acme Saw Vises and get on it, with loads of practical application under our oversight.
Throughout the process, you'll absorb how to do the basics well under our oversight. To sum it up, the course is actually just a lot like woodworking: there are those who talk about it, and those who actually do it.
Schedule & Program of Instruction:
Hand and Back Saws for cutting wood in general:
Tools of the Trade:
Terms of Reference and Tooth Geometry
Backsaw maintenance and pre-sharpening overview
Sharpening and more sharpening
"How the heck do I get to La Crosse, Wisconsin--and is it worth the trip?"
Back to QuickLinks.
Recommended Place to Stay:
Where to Eat: There are some seriously great places to eat here in La Crosse, and below you'll find the short list of some of our favorite culinary haunts downtown. All establishments listed below are within an easy five-minute walk from the Radisson.
Where Mark buys the first round Friday evening after training: The Bodega Brew Pub on 4th and Pearl--the center of the universe. Let's keep that part simple. This is the jumping-off place for the world-famous La Crosse, WI pub crawl.
In any event, I hope that if and when you do come to one of our seminars, that you have one helluva good time. These are my favorites establishments in town--all located within easy three-block radius from any of the hotels I've listed in La Crosse's historic downtown. The Bodega is a great watering hole to start with, after a day of metal filings and crosseyed tooth counts!
All Bad Axe Tool Works Saws are highly customizable, and Feature the Following:
- Custom filing available at same price per request
- Bad Axe saw sharpening rates $15 nominal fee
- Highly-figured 19th-century patterned hickory handles, also available in cherry, walnut, maple & mesquite.
- Five handle sizes available: XS, S, R, L, XL
- Flush-face slotted sawbolts/nuts in three alloys and four finishes with a 13/16" deep-dish decorative medallion
- Firearms-quality hot-blued finish on traditionally-folded steel back
- Optional black or bright nickel carbon steel, brass, copper-plated and bronze saw backs
- Premium-grade Swedish Spring Steel, RC50-52
- Traditional hammer-set toothline
- Lifetime guarantee against all material defects
Learn more about my material choices and saw design rationale.
Other Top Selling Bad Axe Tools:
- Bad Axe American Kid Back Saw
- Bad Axe 10" Dovetail Back Saw
- Bad Axe 10" Carcase Back Saw
- Bad Axe 12" 'Stiletto' Dovetail Back Saw
- Bad Axe 12" Hybrid Dovetail/Small Tenon Back Saw
- Bad Axe 12" Carcase Back Saw
- Bad Axe 14" Sash Back Saw
- Bad Axe 16" Tenon Back Saw
- Bad Axe 18" Large Tenon Back Saw
- The Roubo Beastmaster
- Bad Axe 20" Miter Box Saw
- Bad Axe Bench Hook Sets
- Bad Axe Tool Care
- Bad Axe Accessories